Direct Mail is Not Dead! Benefits of Direct Mail Campaigns
As many companies search for new ways to reach customers and prospects, traditional marketing approaches like direct mail campaigns are often replaced with online advertisements and other technology-based techniques. But direct mail still offers one of the most consistently effective forms of advertising. Creating a direct mail campaign is an easy and cost-effective way to maximize your advertising efforts.
- Direct mailing is highly targeted. Each direct mail campaign can be tailored for a specific audience, from long-time customers to new prospects. Thus, customers receive only offers or information that meet their individual needs or buying habits.
- Direct mail can be personalized. In addition to targeting customers with relevant campaigns, direct mail pieces can be customized to include names and other personal information. This personalized touch means that customers are more likely to heed your message and follow through with a purchase.
- Mail is tangible. Because direct mail is essentially delivered directly to customers’ and prospects’ hands, they are virtually guaranteed to see and read your message. Since customers can also physically touch a piece of mail, they are more likely to see its contents as reliable.
- The format is familiar. Postal service is one of the oldest public-service institutions in most developed countries. While many customers may be skeptical about email messages or other novel marketing media, they remain more receptive to direct mail, to which they are accustomed.
- Multiple formats make direct mailing versatile. The wide variety of formats and options, from postcards and brochures, to magazines and catalogs, makes direct mailing a suitable strategy for almost any application.
- The results of direct mail can be measured without complicated analytics. To track the success of a direct mail campaign, one need only count the number of inquiries made or coupons redeemed from a given mail piece.
- Creating and executing a direct mail campaign is easy. Identify the specific demographic and quantity desired. Partner with me to create a targeted design with information geared to each individual.
- Direct mail is cost effective. While the creation itself is easy and affordable, actually mailing each campaign is also relatively economical. Mass mail rates are available for any form of direct mail campaign.
- Direct mail supports other marketing efforts. Mailed materials can support and brand building through other media. Building a cohesive marketing campaign that includes both traditional approaches, like direct mail, and new technology, raises awareness and reaches customers and prospects who may prefer more established marketing venues.
- Direct mail has a proven track record. Because this technique has been so widely used for a long time, much data exists to demonstrate its effectiveness. Direct mail campaigns offer reliable returns with negligible cost.
Postcards are inexpensive, both to produce and to send, so they are often an attractive choice for direct mail campaigns. Used in the correct context, postcards offer a versatile and cost-effective advertising method.
Postcards work best for simple messages, like promoting events or sales.
Because people often only glance at a postcard, repeat customers who already recognize the brand are very likely to respond.
Prospective customers are likely to skim a postcard, because the size is attractive and easy to read.
Although the cost of printing and mailing letters is higher than that of postcards, in certain situations, letters are a more effective choice. A thoughtfully written letter can be a provocative, compelling marketing tool.
Letters appear more personal, since they address potential customers by name. They also tend to look more official, and are unlikely to be discarded unopened.
For more complex messages, for instance an explanation of a customer reward program, a letter is the best option; it allows the inclusion of more details, in a less flashy format.
A letter can clearly and concisely address specific benefits the customer can gain from a given product.
Letters provide an opportunity for repeating the company logo, both on the envelope and on the stationery. The company name can also be repeated in the body of the letter, building brand awareness.
Brochures generally require the most investment, because they incorporate photos and graphics, use heavier paper, and require folding or stapling of multiple pages. They are also the most comprehensive form of direct mailing.
The colorful and attractive format of a well-designed brochure is eye catching for both new and loyal customers.
Brochures can include graphics, so they can illustrate relevant statistics or diagrams.
The content of a brochure can be more thorough. Different concepts can be introduced in one mailing, and each one can include sufficient details.
A brochure’s variable length and format makes it a versatile tool for various marketing tasks.